On Monday, August 10th, Cedar Rapids was devastated by sustained 1oomph+ winds. The Cedar Rapids First building was among many of those in our community left uninhabitable. The hurricane-force winds severely damaged the roof over the north end of the building causing water damage to the sanctuary, lobby, classrooms, and offices in that part of the building. At CR First, we know that God is faithful. A national disaster recovery team is on-site and will be handling all restoration efforts at the Cedar Rapids First campus. Please continue to visit this page for updates and resources.
DO YOU NEED HELP:
- If you need assistance cleaning up your property please text “STORM” to 319-220-5070.
- You can also call 224-406-1366 (Please know temporary Housing is the hardest thing to find right now)
- Hot meals available at 1202 Tenth St SE – Serving free meals from 11AM-1PM & 4-6PM each day.
CAN YOU HELP OTHERS:
- If you have a chainsaw or are able to assist in clean up please text “TEAM” to 319-220-5070.
- Help with meals at MERCY CHEF’S – mercychefs.com/volunteer or go to 1202 Tenth St SE
- Help with Samaritans Purse recovery efforts: spvolunteer.org or call 828-588-5711
- Help with City of Cedar Rapids efforts: uweci.org/volunteernow or call 224-406-1366
We have several people in our church whose homes have been deemed unlivable. If you are willing to take in people please contact us and leave a message at 319-393-6353 or send a text message to 319-313-5310
Currently, our repairs are estimated at $2.5 million dollars. The winds destroyed the roof and water came in and destroyed all the carpet, ceilings, drywall, and electronics in our lobby and sanctuary. Other rooms in the building have areas of damage. During the storm, our main gas line to our heating units on the roof was severed. Progress is underway thanks to Servpro’s Disaster Response Team. We cannot use any volunteer help inside the building at this time.
- Sunday Mornings – 10 am outside under the tent
- CR First Youth – Wednesday at 6:30 pm under the tent
- CR First Kids – Friday, August 21 at 7 pm
- Family Movie Night – Friday, August 21 at 8:30 pm
HOW CAN YOU HELP:
If you are from out of town you can reach out to the numbers listed above. You can also give to help us rebuild our city. We are tightly connected with all of the efforts in the town and are working to make sure people’s homes are rebuilt and we are working to rebuild our church. The best way you can give is through our DISASTER RELIEF FUND: